River - Kms - Origin - Characteristics
1. Indus- 2900 -Mansarovar -Shyok, Dras, Gartang, Nubra, Hunza, Zanskar, Shigar. Kabul, Kurram, Tochi, Viboa, Sangar.
2. Jhelum -400- Verinag -Flows through Wular lake & along Indo Pak border.
3. Chenab -1180- Bara-Lacha -Largest Indus tributary. Formed by Chandra & Bhaga.
4. Ravi -725 -Rohtang Pass -Flows through Chamba valley.
5. Beas -470 -Beas Kund -Flows through Kullu valley & joins Satluj near Harike
6. Sutlej -1050 -Rakas Lake -Passes through Ship kila. Govind Sagar lake at Bhakra
7. Ganga -2525 Gangotri -Bhagirathi meets Alaknanda at Devprayag. It splits into Bhagirathi-Hugli & Padma below Farrakha in Malda distt.
8. Yamuna -1300 Yamunotri -Tons, Giri, Asan, Hindan, Rind, Sengar, Enters Ganga plain at Paonta Sahib.
9. Chambal- 960 -Mhow -Gandhisagar dam at Kota. Banas (left), Kali & Sind (right)
10. Gandak- Everest & Dhulagiri -Joins Ganga at Sonpur near Patna
11. Kosi -730- Everest & Kanchenjunga- Its main stream is Arun. Joined by Sun kosi from the west & Tamur Kosi from the east
12. Ramganga- 600- Kumaon Hills Joins Ganga near Kanauj
13. Sarda (Saryu) -Milam Glacier -Along Indo Nepal border it is called Kali. Joins Ghaghara.
14. Mahananda -Darjeeliing Hills- It is the last left bank tributary of the Ganga
15. Son- Amarkantak -Joins Ganga at Patna
16. Damodar -540 -Barakar is main tributary. Joins Hugli
17. Ghaghara -1180 -Mapchachungo glacier -Meets Ganga at Chapra.
18. Gomti -Pilibhit Distt -Lucknow situated on its bank. Kathna & Sarayan tributaries.
19. Brahmaputra -2900 -Near Mansarovar- Receives Dibang & Lohit on left bank & then known as Brahmaputra. Burhi Dihing, Dhansari & Kalang (left) & Subansari, Kamang, Manas & Sankosh.
20. Tista- Chitamu lake (Tibet)- Forms Sivok Gola Pass in Darjeeling.
21. Surma -900 -Meghna is the name of Brahmaputra after its confluence with Surma. Surma is distributary of river Barak.
22. Mahanadi -850 -Sihawa (near Raipur)- Tel, Ib, Seonath, Hasdeo, Mand, Jonking
23. Godavari- 1465- Nashik- Penganga, Wardha, Wainganga, Sabari, Idravati, Manjra & Pranhita.
24. Krishna- 1400 -Mahabaleshwar- Koyna, Yerla, Verna, Panchganga, Dudhgana, Musi, Tungabhadra, Bhima
25. Cauveri -800- Brahmagiri Hills (Coorg) -Amravati, Hemavati, Akravati, Herangi, Shimsa, Lakshmantirtha, Lokpavani, Kabbani.
26. Narmada -1300- Amarkantak- Burhner, Banjar, Shar, Shakkar, Dudhi, Tawa, Hiran, Baran
27. Tapti -724- Betul Distt -Parna, Veghar, Girna, Bori, Panhara, Betul
28. Sabarmati -320- Mewar Hills
29. Brahmani -800 -Formed by confluence of Koel & Sankh. Baitrani joins later
30. Subarnarekha -400 -S-W of Ranchi
31. Luni -320- Arawallis Ends in Sahni marshes.- Sarsuti, Bundi, Sukri joins it